Monday, May 10, 2010

Our Engagement Party

Mat and I flew down to Atlanta on Thursday morning and got to spend the weekend with my family. My parents threw us such a beautiful and fun engagement party on Saturday night.

Big thanks to my mom for all her hard work decorating and setting up the party. Thanks to Marjan and Navid for lending us their beautiful home for the night and Tasty Pastry for providing the pretty cake. Thanks to my dad's restaurant Persepolis for catering the yummy food. And thanks to my cousin Hoda, my sister Shayda, my aunts Ellie and Sanaz, Mat and everyone else who helped out setting up the party.

Mat and I had a great time and are so grateful so many people came out to celebrate with us. We wish Mat's family could have been with us as well, but they'll all be at the wedding.

I got seriously hooked up with some jewelry, which I've been having fun wearing already. We lost one of our gifts on the way home though: a lovely cake knife that Nahid Joon gave us.

I put all our gifts in our carry on luggage and didn't think about what it was I was actually trying to bring on board. At airport security, they pulled me aside and said they would need to further search my luggage.

They asked if I had anything sharp or harmful in my bags and I said of course not. It wasn't until after the security guy pulled out the knife package that I remembered and was all, "oh right, the cake knife".

I still didn't realize it would be a big deal, and tried explaining we just had our engagement party and got lots of gifts. He was not impressed. He was all, "yes, but you tried to bring a knife on a plane".

Well, no...I didn't TRY to bring a knife on a plane. I put my gifts in my bag, and yes, one of them is a cake knife. It's basically a big butter knife. He was really not impressed.

So he starts telling me I'm in trouble and there will be a fine and a report and takes away my ID and boarding card. I got really nervous and started to cry. It wasn't fair. I'm not a bad guy! I'm only 5'1 and I'm getting married, and I need a cake knife. Wahh!

I don't think they were equipped to deal with a crying bride to be, so they told us to get gone fast...sans cake knife. We were just so happy not to be in trouble.

We'll have photos soon from the party and perhaps some video footage?

No comments:

Post a Comment