Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Our Dream Garden

Mat is a very outdoorsy type of guy. He grew up hiking, camping, and is definitely in tune with nature. I appreciate pretty views, but bugs, wind, and humidity are more than enough to keep me indoors. So when Mat and I first began dating and he told me about his love of nature and wanting to go camping one day, I definitely got that "uhhh....I don't think so" look on my face.

But, as we all know, relationships are about compromise, and last fall when we took our first romantic vacation together to the Catskills, I agreed to go on a hike with Mat. He took me on a 5 hour hike up a mountain. I wanted to kill him. He did carry me up most the way, so I guess I can't complain too much really.

Living in New York City, you do start to crave trees and grass after a while, so Mat and I will often escape to Central Park to have picnics and go rowing (he does the rowing, not me). I have a balcony that I never use, so Mat has made it his personal mission to fix it up into a dream garden.

This is more a fantasy, but maybe the second photo could be a possibility?
We're very excited to be living together soon, and I know he's got some big plans to fix up my apartment and make it our home. He seriously amazes me sometimes with all his generosity and hard work. He works two jobs full time (carpentry during the day at a roof top club, and then band practice most nights), and still finds time to build trellises and planters for the garden.
Seriously, he's outside right now on his ONE day off, building the planters. I'm so lucky. PS, how cute is he!

1 comment: