Friday, June 11, 2010

Fantasy Movies and Fantasy Hair

I'm a big fantasy movie genre fan. The movies I grew up with definitely influenced my aesthetic over the years. Some of my favorites beyond The Labyrinth were: Legend, Never Ending Story, Willow, Drop Dead Fred, and most of the Disney movies. Fact: Disneyland still is my favorite place on earth.

Mat's seen most of these, although not all the way through. He was a huge fan of Drop Dead Fred though. He was super into Ghostbusters, Tim Burton movies, Roger Rabbit, and Little Shop of Horrors; something else we have in common.

I can perfectly remember feeling bewildered by David Bowie when I first saw The Labyrinth. The hair, his make up, those tight pants. I knew something was going on. But it was Sarah who was my obsession. 

I remember pretending I was her and running around in my backyard. She was so pretty and dressed so cool. That one ballroom scene...swooon. I wanted her dress. I wanted her hair. I wanted to dance with David Bowie.

I know it's probably pushing it to do my hair like hers at the wedding, but I did find this really great designer on Etsy who makes pretty handmade hair pieces. I sent her photos of my inspiration and she's created two darling hair pieces for me. 
One is a comb with vintage brooches and tulle ribbons and the other is a pretty headband with gems and crystals. Here's a photo of the headband.
Legend was another huge favorite of mine and I initially thought of doing a white, wintery look for the wedding based on this film, but nixed that idea since there are too many winter themes these days. Plus it wouldn't work with the vibe at Capitale.

I do love this movie though. I used to wish I could be Lily. She had curly hair, so I felt a definite affinity with her. She hung out with Tom Cruise, played with Unicorns, and wore pretty gowns. I don't think I could pull off a hair cap like hers, but the loose curls are very romantic.
I especially loved this waltz scene where she's seduced by the darkside. This Tangerine Dream track is so moody, and I've played it a couple times on my radio show to great response.


Ohhh and then there was the Childlike Empress from Never Ending Story, with that dreamy bedroom and amazing headpiece she wore. She was so stunning and delicate. Also with an equally great soundtrack. I have this great club version of the theme song and whenever I play it out, people smile really big.

No comments:

Post a Comment