Friday, April 2, 2010

We're Engaged!

In case you haven't heard the story yet from my Mom, here's how Mat proposed:

Mat took me to the beautiful English countryside in Leeds to meet his family and they are so lovely. We took a really great day trip through the windy English roads to visit his great aunt.

She lives in totally cute 300 year old home, complete with sheep and decked out with all that English charm. Her home is dying for a visit from Antiques Roadshow. Every room is filled with history and she's a very sharp lady, and showed us lots.

We hung out with the little lambs in her backyard and then had a big lunch that Mat's mom prepared. After we ate, we hung out in front of the fire having tea, and Mat asked if I wanted to look around the house.

I can't explain how magical his aunt's home is. There's so much to see, so much to look at. We were admiring a china cabinet of hers, filled with 200 year old plates with barely a chip on it. This is what we were eating off of. She had these Victorian Valentines, that she's saved, pretty perfume bottles, and an antique coin purse.

Inside a vase, we found a necklace. I didn't think much of it, because my great grandmother used to hide things around the house too. I was busy looking at some paintings when Mat said he found something in another vase. When I went to look, there was a ring box inside. I just assumed it was hers, and reached in to take a peek.

I open the box and there is the most beautiful diamond ring inside. I was a little jealous though, because I knew it didn't belong to me, and I really wished that it did. I'm kinda slow.

Mat gets on his knee, and that's when I figure out what's going on, and suddenly without anticipating such a reaction, I started to cry. I never thought I would have reacted that way. It was uncontrollable. The moment was incredibly sweet and romantic.

He was trying to propose and I couldn't stop crying. I couldn't even take the ring out of the box. I just held it, slightly shaking. There was a chair nearby and I had to sit down. Meanwhile, Mat is still on his knee, trying to ask. He does, and I stop crying and accept.

I gather my composure and we went out where his parents and aunt were waiting for us, so it was really nice to celebrate there with them. On the ride back, through all those windy roads, I got really car sick because I couldn't stop staring at my ring. I am obsessed with it.

Anyway, we've been engaged for a month and if it's possible, I am even more in love with this man than ever.

1 comment:

  1. this makes me cry every time...so sweet:) I love you guys.

    ReplyDelete