Thursday, December 2, 2010

Music From Our Wedding

One of the biggest questions we've been getting since the wedding is "where can I download your wedding songs". Mat and I are so flattered. We spent MONTHS putting together the perfect playlist for our wedding. We wanted the music to act as a soundtrack, with all the major moments revolving around the songs.

There were a few hiccups regarding the music by Capitale (they were a little confused how to operate the ipod), but besides them forgetting to play our first dance song and playing the Stevie Wonder song twice in a row, we're really happy how the music played such a big role at the wedding.

Each song was picked not only because they are favorites and sound amazing, but also because the lyrics suited the mood of the wedding so perfectly. So below you will find a list of the songs and when they were played. For your convenience, we also created this pop up player with our favorite songs from the wedding.


And because I love you all so much, I played all our favorite wedding songs on my radio show, and you can listen to it whenever you want here!

Wedding Entry Playlist - Songs played as guests arrived to Capitale:

Francois Hardy - All Over The World
The Association - Never My Love
Otis Redding - These Arms Of Mine (Your Vegas does a great cover version of this)
The Hollies - The Air That I Breathe
Phantom Planet - Our House (Madness cover)
The Last Town Chorus - Modern Love (David Bowie cover)
Florence & The Machine - Addicted to Love (Robert Palmer cover)
Future Islands - In The Fall
Au Revoir Simone - Stay Golden

Procession Song:
Gorillaz - On Melancholy Hill
This song was released just a couple months before the wedding. We had been searching for the right song and wanted to use The The - This is the Day, but felt it was a tad too upbeat for that moment. When this song came out, we both loved it right away and it suited our needs. Plus, the line "you are my medicine" kills me because I wrote the same thing about Mat in my journal when we first started dating!

Recession Song:
Fyfe Dangerfield - When You Walk In The Room
Chosen because it is joyous and we essentially were walking into another room, ha. Also the lyrics are so touching, "In this moment, no one is pulling me down into the ground. I can't help it if I'm happy. I can't help it if I'm happy not to be sad...I want you endlessly".

Cocktail Hour Playlist - we wanted songs that were happy and upbeat, to get everyone and excited to start partying. Plus, this playlist is filled with songs by artists we love, support, and have gone to see:
Yacht - Psychic City
Chairlift - Bruises
The Sound of Arrows - M.A.G.I.C.
Ladyhawke - Magic
Muse - Starlight
Blonde Redhead - Silently
Roisin Murphy - Dear Miami
Yeasayer - O.N.E.
Anna Ternheim - What Have I Done?
Blur - Fool's Day
Jona Vark - Gypsy & the Cat
Miike Snow - Animal
MGMT - Electric Feel
Empire of the Sun - Walking on a Dream
Franz Ferdiand - Outsiders

Dinner Playlist - this playlist was divided up with songs by our DJ Cat Hartwell who is not only a dear friend but incredible DJ who shares a similar music vibe to us:
Brakes Brakes Brakes - Oh Forever
Bear In Heaven - Lovesick Teenagers
Stevie Wonder - I Believe When I Fall In Love, It Will Be Forever
Noir Desir & Manu Chao - Le Vent Nous Portera (the bridal party entered to this song)
Wild Nothing - Chinatown (chosen partly because yes, we were in China Town)
The The - This Is The Day (since we didn't walk down the aisle to this song, it made much more sense to use it to enter the ballroom to. It also kind of became our first dance song)
INXS - Never Tear Us Apart (this was never played. It was meant to be our first dance, but in the end, it's good the venue skipped it because we didn't practice the dance at all. You can see a clip of us practicing our dance to this song on Facebook!)
Your Vegas - Beautiful World (my favorite Your Vegas song, yet to be released. They performed without Mat, which he says felt weird, but the band sounded awesome)
The Rosebuds - My Punishment for Fighting
Adam Ant - Wonderful
U.S. Royalty - 10 Commandments of Love (the band performed a cover version of our favorite Prince Buster song and had us all cracking up. Amazing performance!)
Echo & the Bunnymen - The Killing Moon
James - Getting Away With It All
The Belle Stars - Iko Iko
Toots & the Maytals - 54-46 Was My Number (played in part for Mat's dad who I know is a fan)
Paul & The Patients - Sugar Sugar (this song played during our cake cutting. We love this cover of the Archie's classic and it was a huge thrill that Jay and Paul from the band came to the wedding to celebrate with us)

Dance Set - DJ Cat Hartwell played all our favorite dance songs and had everyone dancing all night. I had maybe two bites of my dinner before jumping back on the dance floor, where I spent the rest of the evening with our guests! Here are just a few of the songs she played, also, not in the right order:

Erasure - A Little Respect
Daft Punk - One More Time
Mylo - Drop The Pressure (there is a hilarious clip of Dave dancing to this song at the wedding floating around online)
Alphaville - Forever Young (dance edit)
Hot Chip - Over and Over
Gloria Jones - Tainted Love
Harry Belafonte - Jump In The Line (played not only because it's so much fun to dance to, but also because it was featured in Beetlejuice, the movie Mat and I watched on our first date)
INXS - Need You Tonight
Jackson 5 - ABC
Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
Prince - Kiss
Queen - Another One Bites The Dust
Rhianna - Please Don't Stop The Music (yes I like it!)
Roxy Music - Love Is The Drug
EMF - Unbelievable
Diana Ross & the Supremes - Baby Love
T Rex - Jeepster
The Clash - Rock The Casbah
Wilson Pickett - Land of 1000 Dances
Young MC - Bust A Move

No comments:

Post a Comment